John Reilly was responsible for project engineering and management of 14 Washington DC Metro Rapid Transit design contracts including coordination of technical designs, contract management, design reviews, design change control and the definition, management and monitoring of scopes of work and design fees. He was Secretary to the Board of Engineering Consultants which reviewed all designs and was responsible for high level direction and policy for all underground design and construction. 1968-1973.
Construction types included:
- Preliminary engineering for long tunnel drives using TBMs.
- Preliminary engineering for earth and rock tunnels, cut and cover line and station sections, bridges and aerial structures.
- Cut-and-cover line and station structures, including vaulted, intersecting arch stations.
- Soft earth tunnels using steel, cast-iron and concrete liners.
- Single and double track rock tunnels using NATM or steel ribs and concrete.
- Mined rock station construction using rock-bolts, shotcrete and steel sets (Dupont Circle).
- Underpinning design including the first slurry wall earth retaining and underpinning system, Voice of America Station.
- Transit and Railroad yard and shops civil and structural design.
- Operations control center building design management and coordination.